Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Silicon experience



Criticizing Lebanese male for bragging about owning their business even if it were a grocery store seems a little unfair.
Menlo Park, suburban VC neighborhood with only one decent bar, seems to be home to some 60+ retirees that i had the opportunity to interact with while working from Starbucks.
I couldn't not smile when i heard these two sexagenarians male discussing Lindsey Lohan's arrest. i was appalled to find out that the baby boom generation not only knew about Lilo but also followed her updates.
After tarnishing Tesla and recommending investing in BP they turned to me and asked me if I owned a start-up; they even clarified: Are you an entrepreneur?
I wasn't sure if that was a compliment or not, but this brought me back to Silicon Valley most common lines i have heard this summer. "I am working on my start-up", "i am the ceo and co-founder of an internet start-up", "i am raising a series A".
My fellow Lebanese compatriots are undervalued entrepreneurs afterall and Beirut seems to have more in common with Silicon Valley than I thought. Oh well, all what we are missing is an "e" before the grocery and we could be the Valley of the Arab world.

No comments:

Post a Comment