Monday, September 13, 2010

The age of feelpression




Have we reached the era of the feelings repression? I ask myself more and more as I travel the world and talk to people.
Women love to talk about relationships. And so I don’t miss out on a chance to ask the ones I meet from different walks of life, about love.

“I married him because it was right. We are from the same city, our families know each other.. it made sense”. Heard that speech many times. Saw the look of boredom in their eyes when they talked about their husbands.

Another 20 something consultant says to me with a bittersweet voice:” we broke up because it did not make sense. His career is taking him to New York and I want to stick here in Beirut, so we broke up.”

Romanticism is dead, or is agonizing for sure. A loving and romantic boyfriend is categorized as silly and cheesy. Buying flowers is so last century and saying I love you at the start of a relationship is almost a crime.

Surrendering to feelings is weakness. Leaving everything for love is craziness. Looking for love is stupid.
Why did we kill romance? Especially us the educated ones. Why must we rationalize everything including our feelings? Aren’t they there for a reason? Why don’t we give them a chance? Maybe we did when we were young before they repeated to us that it should make sense and we got hurt. Yes it hurts, yes it is risk, but isn’t it worth it?

Love exists, we just need to stick around it and most importantly think of it as it is a bitter sweet adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Last three times I told girls I love you they said thank you you're sweet. At the end it broke my heart. I went to the surgeon to get it fixed and he told me there's nothing he can do. He said I was just too sweet. So now I cut out desserts from my diet. What else should I do, Artemis?

    ReplyDelete