Monday, November 14, 2011

An Open Letter to the CEO of Delta Airlines



An Open Letter to the CEO of Delta Airlines - Richard H. Anderson

5,000 bonus miles, and a template apology email with the wrong information about my case… one week later… That was what your company, Delta Airlines offered me for a breach of Human Rights Article 1.

My distress has turned into anger and that is why I write this open letter to you the CEO of a public company that employs more than 70,000 people.

I am a Lebanese citizen who was fortunate enough to get the chance to come and study in the US. After school, I decided to stay and continuously learn from what great things your country has to offer: rule of law, efficiency, standards, etc. A lot of what my country lacks.

I stayed in the US with the hope of one day helping in job creation. I stayed because it is multi cultural and open.

I did at some instances felt discriminated against, especially at airports where I always get the “special” treatment of being meticulously searched and sometimes missing my flight as a result. But that is ok.

What is not ok is what your employee did to me on that flight from NYC to SFO. And probably is doing to other people on a daily basis.

My mother seeing how lonely I was feeling decided to come visit me and to meet in NYC. That amazing start of a weekend, turned into an emotional nightmare.

The employee whom I do not wish to name here, asked for my boarding pass after being seated, came back with the same boarding pass but a new seat, he hand wrote. Next thing I know I am told to move to the back of the plane and was given NO reason. Nothing.

I do not know if it was my accent, or the employee’s lack of common sense, but when I refused to move asking for an explanation, he literally threatened to call the police.

Obviously I freaked out. Maybe it was the fear that because I am Arab, the police may not listen to me, or not wanting to disappoint my mother. All I know is I could not think straight.

As I moved to the back scared and intimidated, another young woman took my seat.
I couldn’t help but remember when Gandhi was thrown off a train at Pietermaritzburg after refusing to move from the first-class to a third-class coach while holding a valid first-class ticket. Why did not say anything? What is wrong with me?

Twitter and Facebook only confirmed that what happened was neither human nor acceptable. My friends were in shock; the passenger next to me in the back kept asking me why did you not fight.

Whatever the reason may be, Mr. Richard H. Anderson, I am writing and asking you to act on your service.

None of your extra miles, and canned emails will help alleviate how your employee made me feel. None of your marketing is going to fix the way I perceive your brand. None of the preferred treatments you give to some “privileged” customers is going to make you a loyal airline.

I write this on behalf of every person who was treated in a disrespectful, tasteless, threatening manner on Delta Airlines, and urge you to take action.

As a CEO, you know better what to do when your service reaches this low and trust you will do the right thing.

Sincerely,

Jessica

3 comments:

  1. Thats a shock!! Honestly a shock!!
    and for no valid reason??
    what were they thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think they intended to discriminate.
    They are simply unprofessional, badly trained and apparently they have a huge lack of accountability.

    I am sorry to hear of your bad experience Jess :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you get any response from the CEO? This is so shocking, you shouldn't give up and let it pass by. This is so unacceptable in the country claiming to be a role model of democracy and non-discrimination. I believe this is terror, a more intimidating and disgraceful than what they claim us Arabs resemble!!

    ReplyDelete